Causes Of Itchy Skin
Itchy skin is not always an indicator of poor skin health but is caused by a wide assortment of factors. The following are possible causes of itchy skin:
Dry skin is usually a result of environmental factors such as exposure of the skin to a long period use of ac, heating units and washing the skin more than expected.
Skin Conditions And Rashes
Factors such as skin conditions, pests and diseases which are caused by dermatitis, lice, and hives cause the skin to itch. The itching is usually focused on affected areas and is followed by other signs, such as irritated skin and blisters.
Itchy skin is a good indicator of an underlying illness. These include liver disease, kidney failure, iron deficiency and cancers. In this condition, the itching usually causes discomfort to the whole body. The skin may have a normal outlook except for the areas one scratches.
Any disorder that affects the nervous system can cause itching. These may include sclerosis, diabetes, pinched nerves, and shingles.
Irritation And Allergic Reactions
A wide variety of materials and chemicals can irritate the skin leading to itching. These substances include Wool, soaps, and lab chemicals. Other factors such as poisons and cosmetics may cause allergies leading to scratching. In cases of food allergies, the skin usually becomes inflated, but there have been a few cases of itching.
Drugs And Medicines
Reactions to medicines such as antibiotics, antifungal drugs can cause rashes and itching.
A small number of women will experience itchy skin during pregnancy. The itching is usually experienced in the abdomen and thigh areas. Skin conditions like dermatitis tend to worsen during this period.
Prevention And Treatment Of Itchy And Dry Skin
- Wear Gloves While Cleaning – Wearing protective gear such as gloves protects your skin from harsh household cleaners and dish detergents. Gloves protect the skin around the hand area.
- Post_Swim Shower – An overlooked irritant of the skin is chlorine. It causes the skin to be dry and itchy. This chemical is used in the maintenance of swimming pools. The recommended method of getting rid of dry skin when it comes to the chlorine-ravaged skin is a shower after a swim. This cleans the chlorine from your skin. Use clean water and mild soap. This should be then followed up by applying a moisturizer that is rich in glycerin. Glycerin helps your skin retain moisture hence preventing dryness.
- Fish And Flaxseed Oil – These oils are major sources of essential fatty acids. These acids help keep the skin moist by protecting it from the damaging effects of the environment. Add these to your diet, and it will help keep your skin moisturized.
- Petroleum Jelly – People with sensitive skin, come into contact with common household skin irritants such as detergents. They can use pure petroleum jelly. It acts as a protective barrier for the skin and doesn’t cause skin irritation, burning and stinging. This is because it contains only one ingredient, petroleum jelly. It is very gentle on the skin and a widely used as a dry skin soother. Apart from being safe, petroleum jelly is relatively cheap and widely available.
- Oats – These are used as a home remedy to the rough and itchy skin. Oats have been used to ease itching for centuries. Oats contain substances that fight inflammation and redness. An oatmeal bath is a great remedy for eczema. One is advised to make a bath from oatmeal or grind the oats and sprinkle on to the water. The recommended duration of the oatmeal bath is 20- 30 minutes.
- Hydrating Hand Sanitizer – Make sure you drink lots of clean water and use sanitizers to clean your hands.
- Use Creams In Place Of Lotions – Creams are better for the skin and less irritating than lotions. Get a cream rich in ingredients such as olive oil which gets rid of dry skin and soothes itching.
- Wear Lip Balm – This will help your lips remain moist and won’t crack as a result. Be sure to use a lip balm that does not irritate your lips.
- Use Moisturizer – Moisturizers work by making sure moisture in your skin doesn’t escape. This helps prevent dry skin and reduces the chances of itching. Apply moisturizer after a shower. Moisturizer can also be used after washing your face.